IV Anesthesia Instructions
Download PDF Version of these Instructions
DO’S AND DON’TS:
FOOD & DRINK:
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING 8 HOURS prior to your scheduled surgery.
- Only take what Dr. Auble has authorized
- Only take pre-arranged meds with small sip of water.
- If you have asthma please bring your inhaler(s) with you on the day of surgery.
- If you are diabetic and have a glucometer, please bring this, your test strips, and your lancet to your appointment.
- You must have someone drive you to your appointment and drive you home.
- You cannot take a taxi, Uber, bus, etc.!
- Your escort must remain in office during surgery.
- Your escort must remain with you for 6 hours following surgery for your safety.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves.
- NO flip-flops, sandals, clogs or other footwear that is loose-fitting
- Leave jewelry, phone, purse at home
- Ladies with long hair please put hair into a bun or high ponytail
- Please refrain from using body lotion on the day of surgery (interferes with EKG reading)
- Do not wear make-up, chap-stick, nail polish, contacts lens, pull over sweaters
HOME CARE AFTER ANESTHESIA:
- Remove all gauze before resting/sleeping at home. Unremoved gauze can cause airway obstruction and lead to serious injury or death!
- No alcoholic drinks for 24 hours
- No driving for 24 hours
- Be aware that 30 minutes after your first meal/snack you may notice sleepiness, dizziness, tiredness. These are normal effects.